There was a reunion to
commemorate the 220 years since James arrived in Sydney on the
Admiral Barrington on 16th October 1791. It was held at the
hall at St Judes Church of England, 106 Avoca Street, Randwick, on
Saturday 15th October 2011. It started at 11 am, and the speakers
were after lunch.
The location was chosen because James’ son Richard is buried in the
church cemetery with some of his children, along with some of the family
of his older brother Thomas. It is a wonderful old church, with spacious
grounds and historic cemetery, and it has an ideal new purpose-built
There was no charge for coming, although a gold coin or small donation
was appreciated. Tea and coffee were available, but peopled needed to bring a picnic lunch (and a rug or fold-up chairs if they wanted).
There were plenty of places outdoors to have a picnic, and the weather was fabulous.
People brought along copies of their family trees, and
wore a name tag with their name, and the name of their ancestor, on it. In
addition, they also tied a small piece of coloured ribbon to
the pin of their name tag: blue – James Underwood; red – Joseph Underwood; & green
– William Underwood
make enquiries, please contact Liz Parkinson,
PO Box 157, Terrigal NSW 2260
Or email to email@example.com